Virginia Car Insurance Requirements

Technically speaking, drivers in Virginia are not required to carry auto insurance if, and only if, they pay the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles a $500 fee to drive uninsured. However, coming into contact with an uninsured driver could mean having to put in a call to Halperin Law Center or some other car accident lawyer. 

Since Virginia is a fault state, you would have to file a claim with the liable party’s insurance company in order to be compensated for certain losses. Now imagine if the roles were reversed: would you really want to be on the hook for someone else’s expenses if you caused an accident but didn’t have insurance to cover the costs?

With this in mind, we have provided more information below about what the state of Virginia requires drivers to carry if they are going to opt for car insurance coverage as opposed to paying the $500 DMV fee. You can also learn more about other types of coverage you might want to carry on your policy.

State Minimums 

If you are going to purchase auto insurance instead of paying the Virginia DMV a fee, you need to make sure to carry the minimum amount of coverage which includes:

  • $20,000 in property damage liability coverage
  • $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident in bodily injury liability coverage
  • $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident in uninsured motorist bodily injury liability coverage
  • $20,000 in uninsured motorist property damage liability coverage (with a $200 deductible for hit-and-run accidents)

Other Coverage to Carry

Since VA is a fault state for car accidents, it would be wise to increase the amount of coverage you carry, as many car accidents will exceed the minimum limits, leaving you to cover the rest.

You can also take other steps to protect yourself in the event of an accident by adding personal injury protection coverage, comprehensive, and collision.

Personal injury protection (PIP) coverage will require that your own insurance company cover a portion of your losses if you are involved in a car accident, no matter who is at fault. Drivers in no-fault states are typically required to carry this coverage.

Comprehensive is designed to provide you with coverage when your car is damaged due to something other than a car accident, such as inclement weather, wildlife, or if it was stolen, while collision coverage is supposed to cover the damage caused in a car accident. 

Adding these coverages can help to ensure that you pay as little out-of-pocket as possible if you are involved in a car accident, particularly if you are to blame for the accident.