Arizona Auto Insurance Requirements

Arizona residents, and anyone else who may have a vehicle registered in the state of Arizona, will need to ensure that their vehicle is protected by an auto insurance policy before the car is able to be driven. Below, we have gone into greater detail about what the state minimum requirements are and other coverage options you should add to your policy for maximum protection.

Minimum Coverage Amounts

Every registered vehicle is required to carry the state minimum as far as auto insurance is concerned. These policy minimums include the following:

  • $15,000 per person/$30,000 per accident in bodily injury liability coverage
  • $15,000 per person/$30,000 per accident in uninsured and underinsured motorist bodily injury liability coverage
  • $10,000 in property damage liability coverage

If you do not wish to enroll in uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage, you can reject this in writing and still have the minimum auto insurance coverage as required by law. 

Car insurance is supposed to provide you with financial protection in the event of a collision, but if you opt to obtain only the state minimums as far as coverage is concerned, you may very well wind up needing a Phoenix car accident lawyer, as the minimum insurance coverage may not be enough to cover the full extent of your losses. You can read on to learn more about other coverage options you may be interested in adding to your auto insurance policy. 

Full Protection for Yourself and Your Vehicle

One thing you can do to ensure that you are fully protected is to increase the amounts of your policy. Instead of carrying just $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident in bodily injury liability coverage, you may want to increase the premium. The coverage amount options will vary based on your insurance provider.

Adding on other coverage options can also provide further protection. First, you may want to add rental car coverage, which will provide you with a rental car in the event of an accident. Without this, you’ll be stuck without a vehicle while your vehicle is repaired or replaced or have to cover the costs on your own.

If you finance your vehicle, you may also want to consider adding gap insurance to your policy. If your vehicle is totaled, this will cover the balance of your loan as opposed to you having to foot the remaining balance of your auto loan.